Concise AR-15 upper receivers buying guide
AR-15 upper receivers are a vital segment because it determines and controls the accuracy of the firing of this gun. Moreover, the precision of target firing is also to be largely influenced by the upper segment.
There are different kinds of upper receivers available in the market. Each of these upper models comes with distinct and unique built and specifications. You also have the option to configure any of these types as per your choice and demands. Explore some of the most unique and effective upper receivers below for your convenience. Then you have the option to choose one from the list. This article will be a great buying guide for you.
Types of upper receivers
Over the years, there have been 4 different types of upper receivers with different features and specifications. These types are given below.
- A1: This type emerged during the 1960s. It is known to effectively enable firing within a range of 450 yards with utter accuracy. You also should expect to have a twist rate of 1:12. The flip rear sight of this upper receiver is known to be adjustable for the windage. This side happens to have both long-range and short-range apertures. This comes with a forwarding assist, fixed carry handle, and light-profile barrel.
- A2: In this upper receiver model, the barrel is known to be heavier than that of A1. This model features a fixed carry handle along with the forward assist for clearing the jam.
- A3: This is the better and modified version of its previous types A1 and A2. It comes with a detachable carrying handle that generally enables the optic mount.
- A4: This model has one of the most styled feed ramps that work with the existing M4 barrel.
There are several parts and components seen in the upper receiver of this gun. Each of these components is essential for its proper function and operations. A few such components are the main receiver, sights, barrel nut, barrel, muzzle device, handguard, bolt carrier group, forward assist, and associated retention pins. On top of this, there are piston systems, charging handle and ejection port dust cover, etc.
Importance of bolt carrier group
The bolt carrier group is considered to be essential. This is why it is regarded as one of the most useful and significant upper receiver components. A few of the roles and responsibilities of this component are:
- It cocks hammer
- It extracts as well as ejects spent casing
- It effectively fires around
- It also happens to lead a new round into the chamber
This component is certainly regarded as the engine of this rifle. This is why you should always consider this part of the rifle with utter seriousness while choosing its upper receiver. A proper bolt carrier group is supposed to have some important specifications. To start with, it should have chromed lined interior. Moreover, this should be coated with a matte black mil-spec finish. On the other hand, there should HPT (High Pressure Tested) and MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected).