Switching Senior Dogs to Raw Diets
Switching your senior pet’s food and getting them started on a raw diet is possible. Contrary to what most people think, changing your senior dog’s diet can change comfortably without side effects. Switching the diet to a raw one can help heal the dog’s challenges that develop due to advanced age. Usually, aging comes with challenges that include injuries and health concerns. A raw diet can help bring back the right track and can help with the following issues that most senior dogs face:
- Dental or gum disease
- Gastrointestinal disease
- Liver, kidney, & hormonal disease
- Weakened immunity
A high-quality raw diet sold by Houston Raw Pet Food ensures that your senior dog ages gracefully. Such a diet can lead to the following benefits:
- Fresher breath
- Healthy skin & coat
- Healthy digestion & bowels
- Stronger teeth, bones & joints
- Reduced stool size & easy cleanup
- Resilient immune system
- Leaner body
- Better organ function
- Reduce or halt allergies
- Boosted energy levels
Generally, the dog experiences increased vitality.
But What Happens During Transition? – Top Expectations
You should not expect that things will be smooth all through. It can be difficult for dogs that have been on kibble for years. The detoxification process can take a toll on some senior dogs, so you are advised to be gradual with the process. The process may take longer in senior dogs, but this should not be something you worry about. Additionally, expect the following symptoms:
- Loose or mucous stool
- Excretions through their ears
- Runny eyes
- Loss of fur (very rare)
Tips to Help with Transition
- Start with a simple, pure protein food like turkey or chicken for at least one week before adding other foods. This prepares the dog’s system and makes it easy for it to adjust.
- Give the dog space to detox by skipping a meal every time so that the kibble can be ejected
- Warm the food to room temperature since most seniors will not enjoy cold food
- Include a digestive enzyme or a probiotic in the meal to make it better
- Give it time. Do not worry if the dog refuses to eat since they could be unsure about the texture and smell.
Order the best quality raw pet food from a reliable pet store. You will not regret making this choice. Your senior dog will improve tremendously. Chances are that the dog will become more energetic, will have a better coat and will be overall healthy. In case they were suffering from a medical condition, they may start responding better and eventually get healed. The dog will also get to a healthy weight which is something it may have been struggling with. This is to say that raw pet food is a good option for pets, regardless of their age. Introduce it slowly until the senior pet is used to it once more.